Monday, October 10, 2011


I believe, cont' 


I have to thank a new City-O-Clay friend, Karin, for turning me on to builders foam.  I was able to use it to build a simple platform stepped up with a cut out the size of the side panels of glass. 

I used an air dry clay to cover the base and after scoring it the way I wanted the stones to lay, I shaped them a bit then I imprinted them with a nice texture of a rock I found in the shock therapy room...it was covered in bite marks.  Then I painted the whole thing and used a Satin Liquitex finish.

I planned the base for four inch sides with a height of nine inches.  They set perfectly into the base.  I made what appear to be Gothic hinges out of Fimo and cured them over the edge of a cigar box in my little toaster oven that I keep under my bed,  Shhhhh ! 

...and I just used a super glue and glued them onto the glass to hold the frame together.   I plan to make the top on the same principle as the base, with the hopes of creating some kind of lighting, It will just fit on as a lid.  I had the corner glass shop cut the window glass for me and had them polish the edges.
My next step is landscaping the base and soon I will show you some ideas I have to do that . 

I also want to show you some cool tall grasses I made out of a few bundles of pine needles...I'm going to plant them around an old fence post.  I'll also be showing you how I built the neatest little drying rack for my air dry clay...stick around,  Subscribe, do what ever you need to do...but check back and we'll start where we left off...

No comments: